The pre-Worlds, day two
The GFS forecast on XCskies is for twenty six knots due north at 4000' (launch level) and thrity five knots at 8,000' at 2 PM. The readings on the hill show forty two km/h gusts. The organizers tell the team leaders to come back at 10 AM for a rebriefing based on the latest weather forecast. The distinct impression I get is that if the winds drop off (as they expect) then we will go up the hill and fly, if not, then we won't (go up the hill? fly?). At 10 AM the wind readings are 36 km/h gusting to 54 km/h. Up the hill we go.
When we get to the top (late, thankfully), the wind is howling out of the west on the south side and howling out of the north on the north face (a few meters part). There have been some substantial metal gates setup to keep us from parking in the glider setup area at the lower north launch. They are soon knocked over by the winds.
The day is called. Scott Barrett leads the pre-Worlds for two days in a row (does he get extra points for that?).
The forecast for tomorrow is for winds lighter than today. Petit Mistral?